Performing Lines / APT Commission and Development Program Now Open for EOIs
Performing Lines and Australian Plays Transform (APT) are partnering to provide two commissions ($16,000 each) and development support ($3,500 for each project) for new Australian works.
Combining Performing Lines’ incredible producing nous and APT’s development know-how, we are seeking to bring a bold, new work into the Australian canon.
We are seeking expressions of interest for this commission/development opportunity;
- from NSW-resident writers only;
- for project ideas that require bespoke producing (cultural, artistic, formal, methodological); and,
- work that would not be programmed in other presenting / producing contexts; and,
- work that is bold in form, that expand the narratives of under-represented communities and that are theatrical play texts.
PL and APT welcome submissions from less amplified stories from our community.
- As these are commissions for new works, we are unable to accept work that is already in development or placed with other partners.
- We will accept one (1) submission per playwright.
- We will accept submissions for co-authored plays, although the commission fee will remain at the standard amount of $16,000.
- The playwright submitting the EOI, must have had work previously produced in a professional context.
- The playwright and Performing Lines and Australian Plays Transform will enter into a standard commissioning agreement.
- The playwright and Australian Plays Transform will enter into a standard digital publication agreement.
Performing Lines and Australian Plays Transform strongly encourage EOIs from under-represented and systemically excluded playwrights.
Performing Lines produces provocative contemporary performance by Australia’s most audacious independent artists. We curate a portfolio of work that is propelled by pressing questions and new ways of seeing the world.
Our purpose is to champion risk and to ensure that the breadth and plurality of Australia’s creative potential is represented, celebrated and enjoyed.
We co-commission, produce, partner, present or invent, looking for common concerns and shared interests. We invite new possibilities and approaches to the way audiences and artists encounter each other.
Performing Lines’ vision is informed by our belief in creative independence and freedom of expression. We champion the unconventional, the marginal, the rebellious and the new. We aim to be the stable base and launching-pad for fearless artists to respond to a dynamic and changing world – not only to reflect who we are, but to imagine who we might become. We aim for audiences to access and experience a repertoire of work that represents a vibrant facet of our cultural identity.
For more information and to apply click here.
Australian Plays Transform (APT) is Australia’s national play development, publication and licensing organisation. It hosts the world’s largest online showcase and searchable database of the best Australian playwriting.
APT seeks new voices for new times, develops plays that change the national story, links them to production, publishes them, promotes them, and licenses them for future productions here and around the world.
It is an engine of purposeful cultural change and inspiration, centring the voice of the playwright.
Australian Plays Transform vision is a world made more just, curious and enjoyable by Australian plays.
The assessment panel for submissions include representatives from PL, APT and external assessors.
All submissions will be acknowledged via email, and all submissions will be notified of the outcome at the conclusion of the evaluation process. Due to the anticipated volume of submissions, APT and PL will not be in a position to provide individual feedback on project EOIs. All decisions are final.